Lessons from Liz . . .
1. Register all your images with the Library of Congress (US Copyright Office) in a timely and consistent manner. See the tutorial on the ASMP website.
2. Have your contract reviewed by a copyright lawyer to address the loopholes. (Expressly prohibit use by anyone other than party named on your agreement and expressly exclude co-op ads, marketing & promotions, etc.)
3. Be prepared to respond in a professional manner and hold accountable every party using your property without authorization. This includes:
- Establishing in advance business policies on how to manage each occurrence.
- Not waiting for infringement to occur to establish a relationship with a Copyright attorney.
- Using only an attorney who specializes in copyright law.
- Accepting this process as a standard business policy, like collecting your State taxes.
Great words of wisdom and experience, Liz!