Easing the Taxing Part of Photography

Part of knowing your legal rights and responsibilities as a photographer is reporting your taxes properly.  While you must comply with the law, you also don’t want to overpay.  Do what you can to learn on your own what to do.  Some good resources are available through:

But nothing can replace a good CPA who understands the nuances of your photography business. You can find someone to join your team by asking your colleagues, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and/or some Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts groups, such as those in Kansas City and St. Louis that also provide accounting services, for recommendations.

In addition, here are some accountants who specifically help photographers, such as:

Rocco Abbondandolo C.P.A. – serving photographers in the NY tri-state area (mainly NYC and Long Island)

Woloshen & Herman C.P.A. – NY

Harold J. Nelson Accountancy Corporation – CA

Howard Choder – WA

Mark Gaynor, CPA – GA (Mark’s email)

Vitale & Miller, P.A.  – FL (Greg Miller’s email)

Michael Arena –  CA  (Michael’s email)

Note: These referrals are not endorsements. Be sure to check the qualifications of any professionals before hiring them.

With the knowledge you obtain and help you get, you then can concentrate on other things, such as what camera you’re going to purchase with your tax savings!

Check Photo Attorney on Lynda.com, in the Lynda.com Article Center, and on Twitter!